GUFC’s First Quarterly Program BUILDING OUR BEST CITIES: ENVISIONING A CONNECTED URBAN FOREST The 2016 Mayors’ Symposium & Tree City USA Celebration Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. The Trees Atlanta Kendeda Center 225 Chester Avenue, SE, Atlanta, GA
Join us for this inspiring event presented by Trees Atlanta, the Georgia Forestry Commission, and the Georgia Urban Forest Council. This event is an opportunity to network with partners while learning best practices for supporting a model urban tree program. We’ll hear an exciting talk from Danielle Crumrine, Executive Director of Tree Pittsburgh, and Josh Lippert CFM, ASLA, Senior Environmental Planner for the City of Pittsburgh, about their accomplishments in “Connecting Pittsburgh with Trees.” Ryan Gravel, Founder of the Atlanta Beltline, will facilitate a panel discussion on “Planning and Designing our Cities with Trees”with panelists Decatur Mayor Patti Garrett, Danielle Crumrine, Josh Lippert, Walter Brown of Green Street Properties (invited) and Tim Keane, Commissioner of the Department of Planning and Community Development for the City of Atlanta. After lunch, Robert Farris, Director of the Georgia Forestry Commission will recognize new and renewing Tree City USA communities, Tree Line USA utility companies, and Tree Campus USA colleges present. Ryan Gravel will then speak on “Creating a Long-Term Vision for City Growth and Tree Canopy Preservation.” Attendees at this program can expect to come away with answers to these questions:
- What have other cities done to overcome the costs and challenges of making space for trees?
- What are the new ideas for more innovative urban forestry practices in our growing cities?
- How can master planning for communities help cities protect the urban forest?
- How can we improve how we communicate our message with citizens, city leaders/officials and the development community?
- What does it take to grow an urban forest in your city?
- How can we connect these valuable greenspaces across the region?
For a complete agenda for the program, click here. 3.5 ISA Arborist CEUs . 2.5 SAF hours. Certificates of attendance available for landscape architects and others.
Registration: $60 GUFC members, $75 non-members, $50 Tree City USA/Tree Board, Tree Campus USA college staff, Tree Line USA utility employees All city mayors are our guests for the event and receive a free ticket by clicking here!